Monday, January 10, 2011

My Philosophy on Teaching Literacy

After the years of reading that I have taught, in the different grade levels, I have come to view literacy as very complicated.  I have seen that direct instruction in phonics works the best.  In the early grade levels this is the best instruction for all students.  As students get older they benefit from direct instruction at their level.  This usually means in comprehension, but for some students it means in phonics still, if they have not mastered it.  I also believe that writing should be taught in conjuntion with reading, not separate. Students will become better writers if given a chance to process through their reading while writing.  Students will be required to read and write in their everyday lives.  This is an important skill to have, not just for assessement purposes. 

I think that students should be taught the joys of reading.  The reasons why reading is important should be instilled in them.  Students should then be taught the reasons why we read and the different avenues they could take with their reading.  I really have a joy for reading and I want that to come across to my student's.  I want them to see how important it is to be a well read educated person, and how that could open up many doors for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment